Staff Front End UI Engineer
- Full Time
OnlineMedEd’s purpose is to change how education is approached, delivered, and learned. We leverage education, technology, and research together to drive it all forward. Our philosophy is simple: medical knowledge belongs to no one, so medical education should be accessible to everyone. So we made a quality baseline education available to the world, for free. Today, we are one of the most widely used medical education platforms globally, playing a key role in creating the next generation of health care professionals. Equipped with enhanced knowledge, reasoning skills, and empathy, this generation of doctors is improving the lives of millions of patients.
To help us pursue this mission, we are looking for Staff-level Front End Software Engineers to join our software engineering organization. Successful applicants for these roles will develop new features in our core application, participate in ongoing refactoring, and help us proactively address whatever challenges come our way as our organization grows. Ideal candidates are experienced developers with the ability to quickly ramp up on our tech stack and make a significant, positive impact. As a member of our team, you’ll help drive our mission forward by creating and supporting the technology that’s making a difference in medicine and adult education around the world.
Why You'll Love Working with Us
You'll be helping transform digital health care education, improving mobility and access for 300k+ users in 193 countries. Our team of talented employees and contractors is aligned to the same purpose and values, with the opportunity to bring our own unique strengths to our roles. Thanks to our welcoming company culture and comprehensive benefits, OnlineMedEd was ranked #5 Best Small Places to Work in 2022 by BuiltInAustin and one of the top Austin-based companies to work for overall.
What You’ll Do
- Design and build well-written, maintainable, and scalable responsive web applications and services
- Contribute to the design and implementation of our next generation system
- Guide, mentor, and/or lead other software engineers
Qualifications You'll Need
- 8-12+ years of demonstrable professional software development experience working on projects of increasing complexity and including proactive technical leadership and mentoring
- Willingness to work within a Lean Software Development process doing trunk-based development and continuous deployment
- Demonstrable recent professional experience with a modern JS web framework for building responsive UI (e.g., React, Vue, Angular, etc.) and managing application state (Redux, VueX, Mobx, etc.)
- Experience building reusable and scalable UI components and solutions
- Experience with the Webpack ecosystem and similar technologies
- Demonstrable applied knowledge of algorithms and data structures, dependency injection, unit testing and test-driven development, OOA&D, SOLID and packaging principles, design patterns, software architecture, microservice concepts and patterns, scalability, security, twelve-factor applications, distributed computing, and/or domain-driven design
- Experience implementing and maintaining a Progressive Web Application
- Experience with the Micro-Frontends pattern and related technology (Webpack Module Federation, single-spa, Web Components, etc.)
- Experience working with adhering to accessibility standards (e.g., WCAG 2 Level AA)
- Familiarity with component-driven development and facilitating tools like Storybook
- Experience with technology for distributing builds to cloud edge servers (CloudFront, S3, etc.)
- Experience creating UI libraries for consumption by other internal teams
- Experience with WebAssembly
- Experience being part of a transition from monolith to a service based architecture
- Experience with user-centered design principles and practices
- *Submission of an illustrative portfolio of prior work is encouraged*
- Salary Range: $120,000 - $175,000 depending on experience
- Genuine flexibility in work:
- Location: Work in the Austin office, work from home, or opt-in to our hybrid model so you can experience the best of both. This role may be fully remote within the United States.
- Hours: Work a schedule that makes sense for your life.
- Time off: Unlimited time off lets you celebrate, relax, recharge, recover, or travel the way that works best for you.
- Preferences: We provide funding to set up your home office space, plus you’ll pick your own laptop, and own it after a year.
- Enterprise-level health, dental, and vision insurance: OnlineMedEd covers 100% of the premium costs for employees, plus 80% or more of dependent premiums.
- Health and wellness perks include ClassPass credits, gym membership reimbursements, and virtual coaching for mental health.
Our Core Values
- Selflessness: The best results happen when we put the users first, the team second, and ourselves last.
- Lifelong learning: Monthly Lunch and Learns, weekly presentations, funding for professional development, and 1:1 coaching provide frequent opportunities to learn and grow.
- Accountability: Take responsibility for your day without being micromanaged. We're focused on doing great work; when and how you do it is up to you.
- Transparency: We have an open-door policy and a no-blame culture. Salary ranges are transparent to foster pay equity. We value honest communication at every level of the company.
- Excellence: Focus on being great. Use the equipment you want, take advantage of the flexibility of unlimited as-you-need-it time off, and work when and where it makes sense. We strive to set you up for success.
Diversity in Doing Good
OnlineMedEd is a purpose-driven organization focused on doing well by doing good. We recognize that doing good is best achieved by uniting the unique contributions of individuals with different backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. Beyond our equal opportunity employer status, we are committed to recruiting, hiring, training, and supporting the professional development of diverse individuals, regardless of differences, who demonstrate outstanding performance and exemplify our core values.